[Nix-dev] Re: Another approach at parallelizing in-build jobs

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Sun Jun 20 22:23:00 CEST 2010

On Jun 20, 2010, at 4:02 PM, Peter Simons wrote:

> In other words, should a glibc that's been built with -j1 have a store
> path different from one that's been built with -j2?

Since every build has different store path, does your question even make sense?

> And, to take things one step further, do you believe that a glibc that's
> been built with -j2 should have a store path different from one that's
> been built with -j8?

Ditto.

> Last but not least, if we pass Make a -j flag, we also want to pass -l.
> Now, is the choice of the -l flag supposed to be baked into the store
> path? Is a glibc that's been built with "-j4 -l4" supposed to have a
> store path that differs from one that's been built with "-j4 -l2"?

Ditto.

> What is your preferred solution? And what are the pros and cons that you
> see?

My preferred solution (not with nix) is
	cd /usr/bin
	mv make .make
	echo 'exec /usr/bin/.make -jN $*' > make
	chmod +x make
because it has the major advantage of doing _EXACTLY_ what I expect always.

YMMV

Good luck!

73 de Jeff