[Nix-dev] Is there a way to identify bad build results?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Jun 21 00:25:23 CEST 2010

Do you think there could be a chance detecting that a build using make
-jX failed by:
- comparing created files by a list of expected files
- comparing list of symbols contained in .so or .a files with
  a list of expected symbols?

I expect those values to be constant. So one could create a hash over a
symbols names and installed fails and make the builder check that this
hash doesn't change when using make -jX.

Of course this will not catch bad machine code.
Such a file and symbol hash could be added easily to each derivation.

I appreciate you telling more about broken builds due to make -jX
failing silently causing hours of debugging - because I don't have
this experience.

Marc Weber