[Nix-dev] Solaris support

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Thu Jun 24 19:58:05 CEST 2010

Hi,

I've committed a few minor patches that fix the build of Nix on Solaris. In
that state, I was able to bootstrap Nix using the native stdenv on Solaris/i386
(with a few minor modifications to nix-pkgs, that need further testing before I
commit them). However, the native stdenv contains a *lot* of stuff. So I wonder
whether it's possible to use stdenvNix instead, like we do on Darwin. A naive
attempt to make that change resulted in an evaluation error, though, because
GCC appears to be unsupported. Is there some sort of documentation that might
get me started on the whole bootstrapping procedure, i.e. stdenvBoot vs.
stdenv? Reading the Nix code that does this is not exactly easy. :-)

Take care,
Peter