[Nix-dev] Skype & PulseAudio

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Mar 1 18:18:09 CET 2010

The new Skype has pulseaudio support. You can add pulseaudio to
buildinputs and Skype wil talk to pulseaudio (only!).

So which should be the default?

I couldn't make my microfone work with Alsa at all because the sampling
rates didn't match. My sound card records with 100kHz but Skype expects
48kHz or such. I couldn't even understand myself.

Of course we can use a configuration option. Which should be default?
Alsa or Pulseaudio? The latter will work in more cases out of the box
but it requires the user configuring and starting Pulseaudio.

Thoughts?