[Nix-dev] ALSA OSS emulation

Sander van der Burg - EWI S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl
Wed Mar 3 14:16:03 CET 2010

When I look at the alsa.nix NixOS service module, I noticed that the ALSA OSS emulation kernel module is also loaded. The OSS emulation module sometimes gives me problems, like playing sounds with two applications at the same time. It seems that for some soundcards (but not all soundcards) ALSA is unable to mix when OSS emulation is used. For instance at home, I use the usb-audio module which has no hardware mixing support and blocks my applications when OSS emulation is enabled.

I'm planning to implement an option for the ALSA NixOS module, which allows a user to disable OSS emulation. I don't think there are a lot of Linux applications around which only support OSS. Does anyone mind?

Best,

Sander

P.S. I know there is also PulseAudio which "solves" this, but I still want to use ALSA directly and not the OSS -> PulseAudio -> ALSA overhead