[Nix-dev] Making a device node

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 22:03:30 CET 2010

Hello,

what can I do, if I want to make an initramfs with device nodes? The
builder will not be allowed to create them, for a cpio to put them
into the initramfs.

In the linux kernel, there is a special utility that allows describing
what files (or device nodes) to put into a cpio archive, so the device
nodes don't have to exist to get them in the archive.

And not only for initramfs... linux will not be able to run an init
script if there is not /dev/console.

Any idea on how to get device nodes into tar or cpio archives from a nix build?

Regards,
Lluís.