[Nix-dev] Re: Making a device node

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 12:33:13 CET 2010

2010/3/4 Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org>:
> Hi,
>
> Lluís Batlle <viriketo at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Any idea on how to get device nodes into tar or cpio archives from a nix build?
>
> For cpio, perhaps you could pass a tweaked file list to “cpio -ov”?
> (info "(cpio) Tutorial")
I could read /dev only if not building in a chroot, and it may not be
trivial to keep proper paths in the archive, with files from TMPDIR
and /dev.

By now, the only solution I now goes through the special cpio archiver
that comes with linux, which may be a bit annoying to build.

And for 'tar', maybe there is a tar implementation that would allow
that? I still have to check those.