[Nix-dev] Re: mostly minimal Nixos built using gold ld where possible

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Thu Mar 18 11:15:58 CET 2010

Hi,

Rohan Hart <rohan.hart17 at gmail.com>
writes:

> After many broken builds I've managed to get a working mostly-minimal
> Nixos build using the new Gold ld linker where possible.  The changes
> are attached.

Excellent!

> Many of the package level changes are due to Gold being more strict in
> ensuring that all symbols can be found at link time.  In most cases
> I've simply added an LDFLAGS = ... entry in the derivation.

Some of them are a bit surprising.  For instance, AFAICS, libgcrypt does
pass ‘-lgpg-error’ when linking (see
<http://hydra.nixos.org/build/325591/log/raw>).  Do you remember the
details?  Could it have something to do with the magic in the GCC/ld
wrappers?

> If a hydra branch of nixpkgs was created I'd be happy to (slowly) fix
> packages till there's a stable build.  In the mean time I'd like to be
> able to use Nixos without multi-day compile delays  ;-)

I second your request and invite you to create a branch for this!

One nitpick: