[Nix-dev] Getting nix-0.15 into *.rpm packaging

Jeff Johnson n3npq at mac.com
Sat Mar 27 15:03:08 CET 2010

-----------------------^ insert "*.rpm" here please
> (I'm not at all surprised ;-)

Eeek, I may have inadvertently offended. Apologies.

I actually think nix packages are quite reasonable (not that archive formats are
very interesting or exciting), and am considering adding
as an alternative payload format (like cpio/tar) to RPM.

BTW, the crucial issue for adding what Nix uses as a payload format
to RPM will be whether hardlinks precede (as cpio does) or follow
(as tar does) the header in the archive that is attached to
the content that is to be written to disk.

Is the nix paylod more like cpio or tar wrto storing hardlinks
in an archive?

73 de Jeff