[Nix-dev] Re: Please update of stdenv-linux tarballs

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Nov 2 11:53:23 CET 2010

Hi Lluís,

 >> In my humble opinion, a sensible guideline would be that bootstrap tools
 >> are not supposed to be modified unless they have to be. [...] Now, I
 >> understand Lluís needs the latest binutils in bootstrap tools. That is a
 >> perfectly legitimate interest, and I am all for it. I wonder about the
 >> update to glibc 2.12.1, though. Is that really necessary to support
 >> loongson2f?
 >
 > No, the glibc 2.12.1 was not necessary.

well, then this is one heck of an unnecessary update. By now, it's too late
to do anything about it anyway, so I guess we just move forward and deal
with any consequences that might arise.

For the future, however, I would like to suggest that major updates to
bootstrap tools are discussed on this list beforehand. Different people have
different interests and concerns, and because of that it's wise to involve
all interested parties in those kind of decisions, so that everyone has the
chance to communicate their interests.

Take care,
Peter