[Nix-dev] Re: Merging stdenv-updates to trunk - when?

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 14:30:34 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 01:58:19PM +0100, Peter Simons wrote:
> Hi Ludovic,
>
>  > Emacs 23.x builds on x86_64-linux only, though I suspect the problems
>  > affecting i686-linux are transient errors. Rob: Could you restart them?
>  >
>  > http://hydra.nixos.org/job/nixpkgs/stdenv/emacs/jobstatus
>
> yes, it would be nice if those errors were gone before the merge is performed
> so that we can be sure there won't be a problem.

I expect the build farm people work on getting a good picture of the branch
status. We wait the results.

>  > Git builds on GNU/Linux.
>
> Yes, but it doesn't seem to build on Darwin, apparently because some its
> prerequisites are missing.
We mostly updated stdenv for linux. What do you think the difference can be,
between trunk and stdenv-updates? If you can work on it, it would be great. I
don't have any darwin system at hand.

>  > Python 2.6 builds on GNU/Linux and FreeBSD.
>
> Yes, but Python 2.7 didn't compile on Linux/x86, unfortunately, because of the
> build error I cited below.
That build error is related to a quite old revision of stdenv-updates; I think
the build farm problems are the reason for still having those builds as the last
builds attempted.

>  > Personally I’d rather not spend much time investigating problems on
>  > non-GNU platforms for these.  I’d consider them non-blocking for the
>  > merge.
>
> Well, I depend on Linux/x86, Linux/x86_64, and Darwin/x86, so if major packages
> like Git, Emacs, or Python are broken on these platforms, then this is going to
> affect me quite a bit.

I consider non-GNU platforms blocking for the merge. It is not that I use any of
them, but we have plenty (in percent terms) of nix users on non-GNU systems.

Regards,
Lluís.