[Nix-dev] Attributes ‘ baseName ’ , ‘ baseVersion ’ , and ‘ revision ’

7c6f434c at mail.ru 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Mon Nov 15 20:30:32 CET 2010

>>  stdenv.mkDerivation rec {
>> -  name = "vala-0.9.2";
>> +  baseName = "vala";
>> +  baseVersion = "0.11";
>> +  revision = "2";
>> +  version = "${baseVersion}.${revision}";
>> +  name = "${baseName}-${version}";
>
>Why about making ‘baseName’, ‘baseVersion’, and ‘revision’ local
>variables instead of attributes, since they are not actually used by the
>‘mkDerivation’ call?

Frankly - I did minimal change here that gave me the desired effect on URL composing. When
I write for scratch I encapsulate them in a separate attrSet

>They could be called just ‘name’ and ‘version’, too.

I learned the hard way that all the snippets that are used in the URL give slightly less typos
when kept separate.

>Are these attributes used by your auto-update tool?

Not yet - all the packages I really try to track are still in the older style