[Nix-dev] git mirrors

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Wed Nov 24 23:45:11 CET 2010

I'm going to setup an account no my linode server running nixos. It'll
update a git mirror on a daily basis.

Yury was so kind giving me his authors.txt file which he prepared in the
past. If you want me to add your missing svn comitter name email pair or
if you do not want that your email address appears in every commit in
the git mirror let me know.

(I removed the domains for spam reasons)

  urkud = Yury G. Kudryashov <urkud+nix@>
  MarcWeber = Marc Weber <marco-oweber@>
  raskin = Michael Raskin <7c6f434c@>
  eelco = Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra@>
  sandervanderburg = Sander van der Burg - EWI <S.vanderBurg@>
  ludo = Ludovic Courtès <ludo@>
  rob = Rob Vermaas <rob.vermaas@>
  viric = Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viriketo@>
  NicolasPierron = Nicolas Pierron <nicolas.b.pierron@>
  simons = Peter Simons <simons@>
  andres = Andres Loeh <andres@>
  astsmtl = Alexander Tsamutali <astsmtl@>
  armijn = Armijn Hemel <armijn@>
  visser = Eelco Visser <visser@>
  mbravenboer = Martin Bravenboer <martin@>
  merijn = Merijn de Jonge <merijn.de.jonge@>
  wbreejen = Wouter <uu@>
  pjotrp = Pjotr Prins <pjotr2008@>
  cddouma = Christof Douma <christof-nix@>
  amiddelk = Arie Middelkoop <ariem@>
  maggesi = Marco Maggesi <maggesi@>
  LennartKats = Lennart Kats <l.c.l.kats@>
  valentin = Valentin David <valentin.david@>
  bdumitriu = Bogdan Dumitriu <bdumitriu@>
  guibert = David Guibert <david.guibert@>
  egorochkin = Evgeny Egorochkin <phreedom.stdin@>
  roconnor = Russel O'Connor <roconnor@>
  thammers = Tobias Hammerschmidt <tobias.hammerschmidt@>
  rbroek = Roy van den Broek <rbroek@>
  root = root <root@>
  skolthof = skolthof <skolthof@>
  piotr = piotr <piotr@>

By using git and additional topic branches I'm going my way without
forcing anything on anyone. You can merge my changes back without
asking. I think differently about some issues and my branches will
reflect that. Eg I have a topic branch reverting Eelco Dolstra's revert
of my PHP update which supports multiple PHP versions within one file.
His suggestion was to have multiple files. I think its less complicated
my way.

But its not only about my branches. I feel that the git way of handling
updates by creating topic branches is superior to having one big
"stdenv-update all" branch. Again: my point of view.

I welcome you to push your patches to the new git mirrors additional to
sending them to the mailinglist. So that others can pick them up and
improve them on the fly.

It may not be enough to clone the git mirror using git if you also want
to commit to the SVN mirrors using git. So if you ask me I'll provide a
way to fetch a copy of the original git mirror.

Depending on how many additional svn user - email address pairs receive I
consider starting a new checkout or reusing Yury's clone.

The git mirrors will be available on gitorious because many people voted
against github which partially contains closed source. This also means
that you can't use SVN to commit to the mirror (which github would
allow).

If you have any questions, suggestions or comments reply and I'll try to
take care of them if they seem reasonable to me.

I'll offer my help to anybody on this list getting started with git and
its usage.

I know that there are many people out there preferring SVN over git for
whatever reasons. For me there is no choice: SVN would take too much of
my time.

Happy coding
Marc Weber