[Nix-dev] Re: Broadcom wireless driver

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 23:16:32 CET 2010

Hello.

2010/11/28 Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viriketo at gmail.com>:
> Have you checked if the license allows redistribution in binary form?
> Has it have to be accompained always by the license, maybe? Some
> non-free drivers have those requirements.
I read parts of the license again (looking for redist*, etc...) and it
doesn't seem to forbid any kind of redistribution as long as the
license file is with it. I didn't notice until now that the license
file hasn't been installed, so I fixed it. Also, I updated the
expression to a new version.

> And for Hydra, it will build the store path if you set a 'meta.platform'
The meta.platform field was already set, so hopefully it will get built.

2010/11/28 Nicolas Pierron <nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com>:
> However, I suggest you to have a look at nixos-harware-scan tool
> (nixos/modules/installer/nixos-hardware-scan.pl) and
> nixos/modules/installer/scan/*nix files and to remove the first
> comment line.  This tool is used to automatically generate a
> configuration for a computer.
I hacked the detection script a bit and it seems to work OK now.

>  If you succeeded to make your hardware
> detected, you can add an entry in
> nixos/modules/installer/scan/detected.nix, otherwise add it in
> nixos/modules/installer/scan/not-detected.nix.  These files are used
> to produce default configurations and CD configurations.
The driver doesn't need any firmware, so I left the
scan/(not-)detected.nix files unchanged.

I hope all the issues are resolved, although I'm not sure I understand
all the stuff about NixOS kernel modules. Attaching the new patch.

Vlada