[Nix-dev] nixos principles

Roderick Ford dev.moneygen at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 05:08:20 CEST 2010

Ok, thanks, good to know that there is a wiki page to explain how to do
this.  My thought was that I had found something to help the NixOS
development with, but now I see that this has been done.  So, the lingering
question that needs clarification:

It appears then that NixOS developers do not only wrapper (set up the config
files for) the installation packages by setting build parameters, etc., but
also integrate patching for "special cases" where the package would not
install without some changes.  Is this done at the NixOS package manager
level (by Eelco only?) rather than the config files, or is there some other
location for changing/adding the new options like "virtualbox.enable" and
the code that runs when it is encountered?  I'm sure this is an "advanced
development" item that I will not be learning yet, but I am certainly
curious.

Are there any statistics on how many packages are "done", how many are
"patched" and how many total packages are not completed yet?  I assume that
there are also cases where packages which were "done" or "configured", and
have become "broken" by changes in the package.  Has anyone created a pie
chart, or such, that shows this sort of "progress towards
comprehensiveness"?

I absolutely love the Nix package management and am very glad that it has
been integrated into the NixOS.  Absolutely a BRILLIANT idea!!