[Nix-dev] PAE still a problem for install to laptop (hardware, not virtualbox)

Roderick Ford dev.moneygen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 30 07:33:08 CEST 2010

At first I thought the problem was that I did a `mke2fs -t ext4` on my
drives before install, since I got the message "This kernel requires the
following features not present on the CPU: pae     Unable to boot - please
use a kernel appropriate for your CPU."
So, I reran a plain old `mke2fs` on the partitions and did the install
again, but the same problem occurs.
I looked at the "pc" config and "defconfig" nix files and I see where it
specifies the highmem 64GB, but would like to avoid having to specify
kernelExtraConfigs in my configuration.nix ... especially since it seems it
should "just work" out of the box on an x86 single core laptop.  So, if
there is somewhere I can lookup the available configs for the kernel, or
learn how to specify a one-liner baseConfig for this generic old laptop,
that would be the best.

I see in the nix-dev archives that you discuss the HIGHMEM=n being bad and
that specifying 4GB turns it off, but how do you set that in the
configuration.nix?

Roderick Ford