[Nix-dev] How can I stop python writing into the nix store?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Apr 4 11:37:16 CEST 2011

Excerpts from roconnor's message of Mon Apr 04 08:19:06 +0200 2011:
> What is the best way to stop python from modifying the nix store?  I'm
> considiering trying to convince python to write its .pyc or .pyo files at
> build time so it doesn't feel compelled to write them at runtime.  Any
> ideas how to do this, or any other solutions to this problem.

I remember that there was patch - but I can't find it. So maybe I was
wrong.

>From python --help:
-B     : don't write .py[co] files on import; also PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE=x
would be another option.

> P.S. wicd also writes stuffin into it's share directory in the store.  I
> think I will tackle this issue by patching the source code for wicd.
Eelco once came up with a quick solution for this kind of problem for
xorg:
make $out/etc/share point to /var/share/wicd or such.

Marc Weber