[Nix-dev] "pppd is unable to open the /dev/ppp device"

Paul Dufresne dufresnep at gmail.com
Sat Dec 3 20:06:19 CET 2011

Well, serial lines are not "Plug&Play" like PCI bus.
So, AsFarAsIKnow, the Linux kernel does not generate any UDEV event
for serial lines. (Like it does for most other devices).

I guess, most people would use WinModems that necessitate to compile
their own modules, which in my experience, sometimes cares to create
/dev/ppp (by adding a UDEV rule I suppose). That said, I finaly get my
hand on some cheap external 56k modem which avoid me the painfull
process of module compilation... and I suspect it works less and less
because these modules would tend to not have any developers to update
them.