[Nix-dev] preventing a list from merging

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Dec 4 12:04:47 CET 2011

Excerpts from Mathijs Kwik's message of Sun Dec 04 11:46:19 +0100 2011:
> I temporarily just copied hardware-configuration.nix to
> hardware-static.nix and changed the require line in configuration.nix.
> Then I edited hardware-static and removed the nvidia line.
> However, this doesn't feel right.

You're right. But its easy and fast to do. You can regenerate the
hardware file occasionally and merge in changes.
You can spend countless hours on generating the perfect setup which can
be broken easily by any kernel changes.

Auto generated hardware file: I don't think its either complete nor
stable - so taking as snapshot is a nice solution for now even it feels
wrong. If it works - keep it.

Also note that you can always overwrite setting using mkOverwrite 2000
['the list taking precedence over everything else']  in your
configuration.nix file. Then you can keep merging everything else from
the auto file only overwriting your special stuff.

Marc Weber