[Nix-dev] btrfs-progs (was: contributing to nixpkgs/nixos)

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Mon Dec 12 22:17:20 CET 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 7:39 PM, Michael Raskin <7c6f434c at mail.ru> wrote:
> <87bore6g84.fsf at write-only.cryp.to>
> <CAKvOHKANvg4jYpTTK5+yY9twFkWV1VgZ6ieAQSp4u+t8zpee7g at mail.gmail.com>)
>
>> > That tarball (from the current package) is no longer there and was
>> > outdated for a long time. For a long time, other distributions moved
>> > to btrfs-progs-unstable, because it was actually more stable and
>> > worked with more current features supported by kernel 2.6.37+. Since
>> > 2 weeks however, maintenance for btrfs-progs (non-unstable) was
>> > resumed and work got integrated again. So maybe we will get a tarball
>> > soon. But as stated, the current tarball is gone anyway.
>>
>>The maintainer of btrfs-progs seems to be Michael Raskin. Michael, do
>>you have any opinion in this matter?
>
> I do run BtrFS on my notebook for most partitions and sometimes use
> BtrFS progs. I didn't update NixPkgs to latest git mostly because I
> didn't see if anyone else uses BtrFS (otherwise, it is not worth the
> discussion whether upstream bleeding edge is the right choice).
>
> Currently all allegedely unstable trees I know seem to work quite
> reliably. I would not bet on a sane tarball release in the upcoming
> month, so I can either apply a patch or just put my changes from
> configurations/ into the main tree.

Waiting a little more is fine with me, upstream seems to be wrapping
up and working towards a stable release (maybe we will finally have
btrfsck :).

However, I do feel that packages that don't build (because their
source tarball isn't available anymore) are a concern.
It's nice to have binaries backing up most installs, but I would like
to be able to build from source no matter what.

Does hydra keep mirrored copies of sources around for every binary it serves?
And I guess it won't build the same package every night if no inputs
change, so if sources become unavailable, won't maintainers notice?

Mathijs