[Nix-dev] How do parallel builds scale?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Mar 3 21:49:13 CET 2011

Looking at some graphics:
http://hubble.gforge.inria.fr/parallel-builds.html

You plot "number of packages" against "speedup"
without saying which packages you've used.

Without that info the plots are useless.
I mean I don't know whether the first 10 packages are python packages
only and I don't know whether the 20 packages contain the first 10.

IMHO you should publish either enough data so that your results could be
verified or nothing.

By changing the formatting a very little bit you can make the table
http://hubble.gforge.inria.fr/parallel-build-details.html much more
readable.

Its confusing that the first row has configure, build, check but the
following only have configure,build.

Without asking Firefox to highlight cells I was not able to read
anything. its because "2m 18s" is displayed using two rows.
You can enhance this easily by forcing col width ensuring that no line
breaks occur or use  white-space: nowrap; or such.

Thanks
Marc Weber