[Nix-dev] Re: How do parallel builds scale?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Thu Mar 3 23:49:10 CET 2011

Excerpts from ludovic.courtes's message of Thu Mar 03 22:34:09 +0000 2011:
> Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> writes:
>
> > Looking at some graphics:
> > http://hubble.gforge.inria.fr/parallel-builds.html
> >
> > You plot "number of packages" against "speedup"
> > without saying which packages you've used.
>
> It\xe2\x80\x99s all the packages that have been built, i.e., all those listed at
> <http://hubble.gforge.inria.fr/parallel-build-details.html> (or a subset
> thereof, as indicated.)
That "as indicated" is what I haven't found. From plots I see that
you've build 7 [1] packages. Now your listed is sorted alphabetically
starting by

0) average (special package?)
1) 4store
2) GConf
3) ImageMagick

so may I conclude that 1,2,3 are elements of the first subset ?!

[1]: figure: the "Scalability of the ?check? phase." let's me assume that the
lowest blue * is at "number of packages" 7.

Sorry, I still don't get it.

Marc Weber