[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r26174 - nixos/trunk/modules/services/misc

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Mon Mar 7 09:14:39 CET 2011

Hi,

On 03/06/2011 04:39 PM, Michael Raskin wrote:

> Author: raskin
> Date: Sun Mar  6 15:39:05 2011
> New Revision: 26174
>
> Log:
> Adding a possibility to add more paths to chroots used by nix-daemons. The use-case is building the latest version from repository with very large checkouts. That way you do not get extra copy in store every time you rebuild, and you can implement a saner version checking than checksumming all the data

While I don't object to the option in principle, I think this use case
is misguided.  If you want to make a copy of something in /var/dist
without having it copied to the store, just do

   fetchurl {
     url = file:///var/dist/...;
     sha256 = "...";
   }

For quick and dirty hacking, you can also set this derivation attribute:

   __noChroot = true;