[Nix-dev] Hydra, nix-prefetch-git, and TopGit

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Wed Mar 9 23:40:11 CET 2011

Hello!

I’m trying to see how to apply the recipe at
<http://www.bddebian.com:8888/~hurd-web/source_repositories/glibc/> from
within a Git clone produced by Hydra.

A plain ‘git clone’ doesn’t fetch objects references by the
TopGit-managed branches, so ‘tg remote --populate’ is really needed.
However, ‘tg remote --populate’ wants to fetch data from the network,
which is not possible from within a Nix build chroot.

I thought we could make ‘nix-prefetch-git’ (the script Hydra uses to
clone repositories) somehow fetch the TopGit branches automatically when
it sees ‘refs/top-bases’, but I don’t know exactly how to make it so,
nor whether it would even work.

IOW, I’m open to all sorts of suggestions.  :-)

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ludo’.