[Nix-dev] NixOS with NFS-root

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 19:51:50 CET 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 04:50:18PM +0100, Rickard Nilsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone running NixOS with the root partition on NFS, booting from
> PXE? I want to replicate my current diskless Linux-setup in NixOS,
> is it possible? I am prepared to work to make it happen, but I'd
> appreciate any pointers I can get.

I've been using it, but not using PXE. I booted fullong2f and sheevaplug systems
that way.

That was quite a manual configuration though. I took the kernel I wanted, and
I'm not sure if I used any initrd or not. I think I had a kernel with all I
needed in it (nfs root support included)

With the generationsDir 'bootloader' module, and the proper configuration on the
server, you should be able to set up that.

In fact, there are some images in hydra ('systemTarball') that should boot fine
through NFS root, as that is what I wrote them for.

Regards,
Lluís.