[Nix-dev] some basic questions from a new NixOS user

Kevin Quick quick at sparq.org
Sun Nov 27 05:20:34 CET 2011

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 15:42:03 -0700, Linus Arver <linusarver at gmail.com>
wrote:

> this in my configuration.nix:
>    services.xserver = {
>         enable = true;
>         layout = "us";
>        # Automatic login as regular user (no need to put up with entering
>         # password)
>         displayManager = {
>             auto = {
>                 enable = true;
>                 user = "l"; # login as "l"
>             };
>         };
>        # Enable XMonad
>         windowManager = {
>             xmonad.enable = true;
>         };
>     };

I have:

   services.xserver = {
     enable = true;
     windowManager.xmonad.enable = true;
     windowManager.default = "xmonad";
   };

This seems to work fine.  Although xmonad restarts itself out of your
.xmonad directory, the main version is available:

$ which xmonad
/home/kquick/.nix-profile/bin/xmonad
$ ls -lh `which xmonad`
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root nixbld 67 Nov  2 12:59
/home/kquick/.nix-profile/bin/xmonad ->
/nix/store/f6zlgcyhy76k2kal3v47vmj5bsvpm3px-xmonad-0.9.2/bin/xmonad
$

> I did a "nixos-rebuild switch", but xmonad does not get started.

In my experience there are some elements that cannot "switch" and a reboot
is required; I don't recall if xmonad was one of these, but it may be if X
is not restarted by the switch.

> If anyone on this mailing list has a working xmonad setup, please share
> your configuation with us NixOS newbies!

Hope this helps.

--
-KQ