[Nix-dev] Kernel/libc coupling

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Sat Oct 1 23:53:17 CEST 2011

On 10/01/2011 05:27 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi Shea,
>
> Shea Levy<shea at shealevy.com>  skribis:
>
>> Author: shlevy
>> Date: Fri Sep 30 15:34:37 2011
>> New Revision: 29546
>>
>> Log:
>> Have the kernel headers be a linuxPackage, use the current linuxPackage's headers
> I think you don’t want to do it because this would create more coupling
> than needed between Linux and the GNU libc, and because it would
> increase the frequency of full rebuilds (LTS Linux releases are more
> frequent than stdenv updates in Nixpkgs.)
>
> WDYT?
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.
Hi Ludo’,

If you look at my next few commits, I add two passthru attributes to
pkgs/os-specific/linux/kernel/generic.nix to set the headersSrc and
headersVersion if the default kernel is updated so we can avoid
rebuilds. IMO the linux headers are absolutely a kernel package and it's
silly to have a different expression file for each version of the
headers we want to use when the builder code is essentially the same for
each kernel. If there's a serious problem with making this a
kernelPackage, I would like to at least have a single default.nix that
takes a source and version as an input.

Cheers,
Shea Levy