[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r29559 - nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/os-specific/linux/kernel

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Sun Oct 2 13:10:47 CEST 2011

On 10/02/2011 07:01 AM, Shea Levy wrote:
> Author: shlevy
> Date: Sun Oct  2 11:01:08 2011
> New Revision: 29559
>
> Log:
> Linux 3.x: Use our module directory during modules_install
>
> The "unset MODULE_DIR" trick was enough to get Linux 3.x kernels compiling, but it was definitely the Wrong Thing
> We NEED MODULE_DIR set so that depmod can store the right dependencies during the build. The REAL problem with the
> 3.x kernels was two-fold: Our module-init-tools was so old that the kernel build needed to introduce a hack when
> calling depmod (involving creating a symlink prepending 99.98 to the version number), and the depmod wrapper was
> moved out of the Makefile into scripts/depmod.sh, so our substituteInPlace to get rid of '-b $(INSTALL_MOD_PATH)' in
> the Makefile was a noop and INSTALL_MOD_PATH was still being passed to depmod. This is now fixed and modprobe can
> successfully find dependencies using the modules.dep created during install
>
> Modified:
>     nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/os-specific/linux/kernel/generic.nix
>     nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/os-specific/linux/kernel/linux-3.0.nix
>     nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/os-specific/linux/kernel/linux-3.1.nix

Hi all,

The problems that this commit fixes makes me wonder how the hell anyone
got 3.x working on a NixOS system without it. Did anyone here have a
working system that didn't symlink /lib/modules? If so, could you share
your configuration.nix and any system-wide changes (e.g. local patches
to nixpkgs/nixos, special symlinks, etc.) that were in place?

Cheers,
Shea