[Nix-dev] bash updates

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sun Oct 2 23:21:19 CEST 2011

Hi Ludovic,

 > Since stdenv updates are infrequent, we’d rather not do it “just” for
 > Bash.  Instead we usually bundle a list of stdenv package upgrades
 > (libc, GCC, Coreutils, etc.), hence the branch name.  :-)

I am sorry if I happen to be dull, but I have difficulties understanding
your message, because I don't know who you refer to as "we". You are
speaking for yourself, I suppose? If you are not, then who are you
speaking for?

 > What about starting looking collectively at what we’d like to have in
 > the next stdenv update, and then checking whether the branch builds
 > fine?

I am sorry, but I am not sure how to interpret your suggestion.

You seem to suggest that *I* look at updates to libc, GCC, etc., but
that interpretation seems odd, and I can't believe that you intended to
say that, because I have stated my interests in this merge quite clearly
before. So I guess you meant to say that *you* would like to look at
glibc, GCC, and so on? That interpretation feels odd too, though,
because if that were your intended message, then you'd probably just do
it, instead of talking about it. Can you please help me out by
explaining your thoughts in more detail?

Take care,
Peter