[Nix-dev] Disaster recovery / re-deployment

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Tue Oct 4 11:21:06 CEST 2011

> I'm aiming for a much simpler setup: mount your global nix store
> (which is shared with other hosts) in your new empty root, then
> either run a bootstrap script that generates /boot, or manually
> place the boot-symlinks there. After that it should be possible to
> just boot into an identical system as before.

It looks you don't know the internals of nixos well yet.
/boot is generated by any of the nixos-install activation or boot
phases. So if you "script that" you duplicate work - why?
Because each time you update nixos using nixos-rebuild new kernels have
to be copied to /boot depending on your configuration options - and that has
already been implemented.

> That said, I'd be happy to check out your code and see if I can work
>  from it instead of nixos-install. Is your code publicly available
Yes - I push to gitorious. However I'd prefer you sending me your ssh
pub key so that you can clone from my SSH account.
http://mawercer.de/~nix/

However in your case http://mawercer.de/~marc/minimal-install-archive.patch should be enough
if you're lucky.

You can contact me on irc (#nixos) anytime.

Marc Weber