[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r29820 - nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/top-level

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Thu Oct 13 20:45:31 CEST 2011

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 15:10:48 +0200, Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/13/2011 03:04 PM, Florian Friesdorf wrote:
>
> > Author: chaoflow
>
> > +  # Please keep in sync with linux_3_0_powertop, except for extraConfig
> >    linux_3_0 = makeOverridable (import ../os-specific/linux/kernel/linux-3.0.nix) {
> > +  # Please keep in sync with linux_3_0, except for extraConfig
> > +  linux_3_0_powertop = makeOverridable (import ../os-specific/linux/kernel/linux-3.0.nix) {
> > +    inherit fetchurl stdenv perl mktemp module_init_tools ubootChooser;
> > +    extraConfig = ''
> > +        CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND y
>
> Assuming that there is no significant runtime cost, why not just put this in the
> default kernel?  It's not a good idea to have a separate kernel for every little
> feature.  We have too many kernels already (creating a potential maintenance
> problem).
>
> BTW, as far as I can tell from my 2.6.35 kernel, some of these options are
> already enabled (e.g., HIGH_RES_TIMERS, HPET_TIMER, NO_HZ).
>
> CPU_FREQ_GOV_ONDEMAND should be "m" instead of "y".

I fixed the colliding (y vs m) options and disabled unnecessary debug
options. Attached is the effective (full) config diff between default
3_0 and 3_0_powertop.

Here the summary:
# Wanted by powertop:
+CONFIG_PM_RUNTIME=y
+CONFIG_PM_ADVANCED_DEBUG=y
+CONFIG_USB_SUSPEND=y
+CONFIG_DEBUG_KERNEL=y
+CONFIG_TIMER_STATS=y
# Does not show up in menuconfig, assumed to be implicitly enabled
+CONFIG_PCIE_PME=y
# Recommend in case DEBUG is enabled
+CONFIG_DEBUG_RODATA=y
+CONFIG_DEBUG_BOOT_PARAMS=y

I'm now using 3_0_powertop on a daily base on my laptop.