[Nix-dev] new possible movement to git (?)

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Sat Oct 15 14:56:05 CEST 2011

On Mon, 29 Aug 2011 12:51:25 -0700, shea at shealevy.com wrote:
> >>Why would that be necessary?
> >
> > Given that branches are mere pointers, I don't see how to find out what
> > was stdenv-updates before after it has been merged into trunk and
> > re-created
>
> Ah, I see. Yeah, it would be nice if git had information in commits about
> which branch the commit was initially performed on. This seems like a
> really simple feature, not sure why it doesn't exist.

If you tell git not to do fast-forward merges the history will show
where a commit is coming from:
git merge --no-ff

> >>No, but as a developer I would have unstable checked out where I do my
> >>work, and as a user I would have testing checked out in /etc/nixos or be
> >>subscribed to testing as my channel.
> >
> > An easy way to update to last completed Hydra build would be nice, true.

hydra could create tags and push these.

Did I understand correctly: we are about to move to git? Having used
hg/git and a bit of cvs/svn/darcs I am fully in favor of moving to git.

regards
florian
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC