[Nix-dev] python-x.y.z-wrapper vs python-x.y.z-full

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Sat Oct 15 15:58:26 CEST 2011

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 13:54:40 +0200, Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
>  > the attribute name for pythonXYFull is python-X.Y.Z-wrapper. I'd
>  > consider python-X.Y.Z-full to be more intuitive. Anything against
>  > renaming?
>
> use of the suffix "-wrapper" is very common in Nix. GCC follows the
> same naming scheme, and so does GHC. I don't see what we would gain
> from having a different suffix for Python's wrapper script. Besides,
> the suffix "-full" would be misleading for all other uses of
> python/wrapper.nix.

Ok, I agree.

But there are plenty of "-wrapper"s, but only ghc and python use it as a
suffix _after_ the version. This results in python-2.7.1 being
"upgraded" to python-2.7.1-wrapper by 'nix-env -u \*'.

Why not python-wrapper-2.7.1?

regards
florian
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC