[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r30127 - in nixos/trunk/modules: config installer/cd-dvd installer/generations-dir installer/tools installer/tools/nixos-deploy-network misc security services/misc services/monito...

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Sun Oct 30 17:05:38 CET 2011

Hi Shea,

 > In the future, can you please bring up an issue like this on the
 > mailing list before just reverting another developer's work?

you are right, I should have just posted to the list instead of
reverting the commits. I was too impatient, and I overestimated the
severity of the problem.

What happened from my perspective is that I ran nixos-rebuild, and then
left the computer for something else. When I came back after a while,
the system had become nearly unusable. Resurrecting the machine was a
bit of an effort, and eventually I had to reboot, even. Then I spent the
better part of an hour watching "top" output, trying to debug what was
happening. I even downgraded to the previous Nix version without
success. So I started switching back to old revisions of Nixos. I tried
to build revision 30076, and that worked fine. Then I tried the next
revision -- yours -- and that didn't evaluate.

So it seemed quite clear to me that the change you made triggered the
bug I'm seeing.

I realize that you must have tested that change before committing it, so
apparently the problem has something to do with my configuration.nix.
Still, my configuration.nix is not particularly unusual, and I felt that
other users shouldn't run into the same problem I did. I decided to
revert the change -- to fix my system -- and to post to this list.

I surely could have handled that in a better way. Well, what can I say?

I am sorry.

Peter