[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r30127 -innixos/trunk/modules:configinstaller/cd-dvdinstaller/generations-dirinstaller/toolsinstaller/tools/nixos-deploy-networkmiscsecurity services/miscservices/monito...

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sun Oct 30 18:04:32 CET 2011

Excerpts from Michael Raskin's message of Sun Oct 30 17:54:05 +0100 2011:
> I guess that to stop the insanity like "no reaction is no OK" we do need
> to make allowances for "heavy problems merit revert". Having to reboot a
> computer is not something we want to impose on too many people...
I agree. But why do you have to reboot because one app is taking too
much RAM? I'd say something else is wrong as well then.
And that has nothing to do with nixos being the issue.

> 1) Trunk is what Hydra builds and we don't want to get all the working
> binary packages garbage-collected.
I agree. however nixos does not change that many hashes. And hydra
should be strong enough to rebuild some isos fast.

> 2) Many people think that building trunk is safe and you only need to
> start thinking after the build stops (succesfully or not). Me too, to be
> honest. Maybe we need a vote to see if it is a common idea. If I
> perceive it to be a common idea and I see that building trunk crashes my
> computer, I perceive making trunk safe as a net-positive action.
I agree. However you should consider spending 5-10 min on contacting the
author of the commit - eventually there is an easy fix.

> BtrFS is a feature you can avoid with rmmod. nix-instantiate-ing NixOS
> trunk is a prerequisite to using any part of NixOS.
Well - I think we should have "pending" branches then for everything and
merge into trunk after 1-2 days - or have stable branches - because
there are too many issues which may happen to some people for whatever
reason.

Marc Weber