[Nix-dev] Current stdenv is Broken in Absence of Substitutors

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Mon Sep 5 21:27:22 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Due to a license issue, the GNU mirrors no longer contain
binutils-2.21.tar.bz2
(http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2011-08/msg00198.html). Therefore,
building stdenv fails in a non-standard nix store location or if
substitutors are not used. I can think of two ways to fix this: Upload
the tarball somewhere and update the expression in trunk, or start the
process of merging stdenv-updates (which has already updated to 2.21.1a)
into trunk. I'd prefer the latter, especially since hosting
binutils-2.21.tar.bz2 may violate licenses subtly. Thoughts?

Cheers,
Shea