[Nix-dev] gnome does not build and kde4 blank screen

Cillian de Róiste cillian.deroiste at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 22:14:04 CEST 2011

Hi Jerzy,

Did you get any further with your issues?

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 9:24 PM,  <j.s.m at online.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after installing nixos-graphical-0.1pre28113-x86_64-linux.iso on fujitui lifebook
> i was not able to use kde4 desktopManager and could not build gnome environment.
> xterm (default), and xfce desktopManager did worked OK.

As far as I know, Gnome isn't in a useable state at all and I don't
think anybody is doing a lot of work on it at the moment. I would
expect XFCE and KDE to work quite well though. I have no idea what
could cause the problem you describe with KDE starting. I believe many
of the lightweight window managers in nixpkgs will also work fine.

> for kde4 i got the screen with the harddisk and then the scren went blank and stayed that way.

Did you see anything interesting in the Xorg log? Have you been on the
irc channel? It might be easier to try to help debug this issue there.

Good luck!
Cillian