[Nix-dev] deprecating KDE3

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 22:09:23 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 08:10:31PM +0400, Yury G.  Kudryashov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> kde3.kdebase does not compile, and I see no sense in fixing this.
>
> AFAIK (sorry, have no prooflink) Qt3 has known bugs, including security
> holes. We have two ways:
>  * Remove Qt3.
>  * Get sources from, e.g., trinity project.
>
> I'm for the first variant. If there is anybody using kde3, tell me.
> Otherwise I'll remove qt3/kde3 in 2 weeks.

wait wait! :)
For me, kcachegrind is an important paackage. It wants qt3 and kde3.kdelibs.

I also use qt3 in twinkle and djvulibre.

I don't mind not having kde3.kdebase, if it does not build. But as for the rest,
I'd like them available.

As for security bugs... I bet we have other software in nixpkgs with security
bugs, and I don't consider this a reason for a package to be wiped out of
nixpkgs.

Regards,
Lluís