[Nix-dev] nix&bindist

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud.urkud at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 22:36:26 CEST 2011

Hi!

It seems that distributing some packages via hydra violates their licenses
(e.g., if we distribute a package linked both to gpl and non-gpl-compatible
libraries).

Gentoo has 'bindist' use flag to mark whether the binary packages will be
distributed in binary form. What about introducing some variable (say,
nixpkgs.config.isBuildfarm) to mark that the result of the build is
available to download? Then packages can assert !isBuildfarm;

In the ideal world we should have some license manager that automatically
calculates the license of each package but it does not seem trivial to
implement...
--
Yury G. Kudryashov,
mailto: urkud at mccme.ru