[Nix-dev] distutils2nix/python4nix

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Sat Sep 24 23:36:22 CEST 2011

On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 17:13:23 +0200, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> > If you can solve these problems in hack-nix, I do not understand how it
> > would differ from generating nix expressions, instead of doing it
> > on-the-fly.
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.nixos/6180/match=sketchy+list
> See first link given there. That's the "pool" I'm talking about: a nix
> readable representation of hackage.
>
> > Why not? And are they artificial or is there some package creating this
> > problem?
>
> A depends on either
>  - B-1.0 AND C (case I)
>  - or B-2.0    (case II)
>
> Now TARGET depends on A AND OTHER.
> If OTHER depends on B-1.0  case I must be chosen, if OTHER depends on B-2.0
> case II must be chosen when building A because you should not use B-1.0
> and B-2.0 at the same time or bad things can happen.
>
> Now A is a dependency of TARGET. And TARGET determines the set of
> dependencies which must be used by A. That's why generating simple .nix
> files will not work in such a case.

My understanding is, that all (needed) combinations would be created as nix
expressions. If you did not install the combination sometime beforehand,
then nix is I think the wrong tool by design. The question is more what
tools we have to generate expressions for us.

If my perception of nix is wrong, please correct me.

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC