[Nix-dev] Problems getting started with nix

Maarten Derickx m.derickx.student at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 00:40:26 CEST 2011

Dear nix developers,

After reading http://fixingscientificsoftwaredistribution.blogspot.com/
(a blog on wich some people try to get ideas and experiences for a new
scientific software distribution possibly based on nix) I got
interested in what nix really was so I tried to install and run it as
described on:

http://hydra.nixos.org/build/565033/download/1/manual/#chap-quick-start

But doing that I got some errors. I tried to work around them but did
not succeed in that.
I pasted relevant parts of the terminal session on:

http://pastebin.com/xeSYBHyn

Not I got around the problems of `nix-channel --update` by doing `sudo
nix-channel --update` but later on I get similar acces problems.

I installed nix as root just as suggested in the quick start. I did
not supply the --prefix and --with-store-dir=path to make install. And
I'm running OS X 10.6.8 and the nix version is nix-0.16

Thanks in advance,
Maarten Derickx