[Nix-dev] Problems getting started with nix

Maarten Derickx m.derickx.student at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 13:39:57 CEST 2011

Thanks, that seemed to help. It's now running the installing. I was
quite suprised by the memory footprint of nix when executing `nix-env
-i hello`. It actually takes up over 600MB of ram at it's peak :(.
Maybe this is related to the step 6 in the chapter  2. Quick Start.
Where it sais "This should download pre-built packages; it should not
build them locally (if it does, something went wrong)."

And the output of the command in step 6 is very huge and contains a
lot of stuff like:

gcc -c  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSHELL  -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../include
-I../../lib -DMACOSX -g -O2 glob.c
rm -f strmatch.o
gcc -c  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSHELL  -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../include
-I../../lib -DMACOSX -g -O2 strmatch.c
rm -f smatch.o
gcc -c  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSHELL  -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../include
-I../../lib -DMACOSX -g -O2 smatch.c
rm -f xmbsrtowcs.o

and similar lines indicating that it is actually building stuff
locally. So step 6 is also failing since it should not build but just
download stuff.

Note that I did not change the nix store location so this cannot be
the cause of stuff getting rebuild again. Maybe it's because there are
no prebuilt binary's for my system? I have OS X 10.6.8 and my
processor is an Intel Core 2 duo hence 64 bit.

I hope you will update the quick start chapter with the stuff learned
from my attempt to install stuff since I think it's quite essential
that just blindly following the quickstart just works if you want
other people to use your project.