[Nix-dev] Problems getting started with nix

Rok Garbas rok.garbas at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 13:58:03 CEST 2011

On 25/09/11 13:39, Maarten Derickx wrote:
> Thanks, that seemed to help. It's now running the installing. I was
> quite suprised by the memory footprint of nix when executing `nix-env
> -i hello`. It actually takes up over 600MB of ram at it's peak :(.
> Maybe this is related to the step 6 in the chapter  2. Quick Start.
> Where it sais "This should download pre-built packages; it should not
> build them locally (if it does, something went wrong)."
>
> And the output of the command in step 6 is very huge and contains a
> lot of stuff like:
>
> gcc -c  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSHELL  -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../include
> -I../../lib -DMACOSX -g -O2 glob.c
> rm -f strmatch.o
> gcc -c  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSHELL  -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../include
> -I../../lib -DMACOSX -g -O2 strmatch.c
> rm -f smatch.o
> gcc -c  -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -DSHELL  -I. -I../.. -I../.. -I../../include
> -I../../lib -DMACOSX -g -O2 smatch.c
> rm -f xmbsrtowcs.o
>
> and similar lines indicating that it is actually building stuff
> locally. So step 6 is also failing since it should not build but just
> download stuff.
>
> Note that I did not change the nix store location so this cannot be
> the cause of stuff getting rebuild again. Maybe it's because there are
> no prebuilt binary's for my system? I have OS X 10.6.8 and my
> processor is an Intel Core 2 duo hence 64 bit.
>
> I hope you will update the quick start chapter with the stuff learned
> from my attempt to install stuff since I think it's quite essential
> that just blindly following the quickstart just works if you want
> other people to use your project.

you can expect to compile a lot of stuff since macosx is not supported
that good. which doesn't bother me. but a lot of packages are failing to
build on macosx so expect things to fail and fixing them manually (eg.
take patches from macports/homebrew and adjust nix expressions).

Shea Levy, started some work which might bring nix closer to macosx.

lp rok