[Nix-dev] nix store: hardlink vs symlink (was Re: python application vs python environment)

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Mon Sep 26 00:08:25 CEST 2011

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 22:23:57 +0200, ludo at gnu.org (Ludovic =?iso-8859-1?Q?Court=E8s?=) wrote:
> Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net> skribis:
>
> > On Sat, 24 Sep 2011 21:56:02 +0200, ludo at gnu.org (Ludovic =?iso-8859-1?Q?Court=E8s?=) wrote:
> >> Hi Florian,
> >>
> >> Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net> skribis:

> >> Because hard links don’t work across devices.
> >
> > But the links would be just intra-store links, or?
>
> Sorry, I thought you were referring to why profiles use symlinks to the
> store.
>
> Within a store, using hard links is OK, yes, and ‘nix-store --optimise’
> does exactly that.

But I think thats for a different purpose: An expression installs a
programm into a derivation. If two of them have the exact same file,
nix-store --optimise will hardlink them. If now two derivations are put
together into a new derivation, their components will be symlinked and
here, as I understand now, hardlinks are not an option because nix uses
the symlinks to store information about dependencies.

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC