[Nix-dev] Building my system with hydra

maggesi at math.unifi.it maggesi at math.unifi.it
Tue Sep 27 17:37:32 CEST 2011

Hi,

I would like to create a jobset that build my system with the latest
svn nixpkgs, svn nixos & and the current configuration.nix.

(BTW: I suppose that this is something that most nix "hackers" want to
have in principle.  So it would be nice to propose a "standard" way to
do this).

Here is my first attempt at writing a release.nix:

{ nixpkgs ? (import ./nixpkgs { })
, nixos ? ./nixos
, configuration ? ./configuration.nix
}:

let
   eval = import (nixos + "/lib/eval-config.nix") {
     inherit nixpkgs;
     modules = [ configuration ];
   };
in
{ system = eval.config.system.build.toplevel; }

When I evaluate the expression by hand I get

# nix-instantiate --eval-only release-neve.nix --eval-only --xml -A
system  --show-trace
error: while evaluating the attribute `config' at
`/etc/nixos/nixos/lib/eval-config.nix:68:3':
while evaluating the builtin function `import':
cannot coerce an attribute set (except a derivation) to a string

This must be caused by something stupid but I can't still find what.

Also I configured a jobset for this release.nix on my hydra.  But I
don't get any error.  Hydra simply says that the jobset is empty.

Can someone see what's wrong?

Thanks,
Marco