[Nix-dev] Nix purity and ld.so

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Thu Apr 5 19:41:57 CEST 2012

Hi Yury,

 > What do you think about passing '-z nodeflib' everywhere (say, in `ld` wrapper)?

I have no practical experience using this flag, but judging from its
description this sounds like a really good idea.

 > As far as I understand, this will allow us to catch wrong RPATH's before
 > somebody tries to launch the executable on a system with different glibc
 > version.

Exactly, that would be great. I've had lots of fun with librt and friends,
and it sounds like this option would improved my chances of diagnosing those
hidden dependencies much sooner. The only thing I'm somewhat unhappy about
is that the executables still need to be *run* to notice that something went
wrong. I would love to see those errors caught at link-time instead.

Take care,
Peter