[Nix-dev] using nix-build to build a user profile

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Wed Apr 11 14:39:33 CEST 2012

Hi all,

Is it possible to build user profiles using nix-build?
I mean I can build the system profile using
"nix-build /etc/nixos/nixos -A system"

I would like to be able to do this for user envs as well, so including
their settings and extra stuff they put in ~/.nixpkgs/config.nix
I'm just after building, no need to set the symlink or anything. Also,
I realize I can just "sudo nix-env ... - username", but I'm really
after nix-build. Trying to learn how all nix-* thingys fit together :)

Thanks,
Mathijs