[Nix-dev] Hydra nixpkgs-unstable channel lagging behind?

Rickard Nilsson rickard.nilsson at telia.com
Wed Apr 18 17:45:38 CEST 2012

18 apr 2012 kl. 09:57 skrev Eelco Dolstra <eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com>:

> I should mention that there is also a NixOS channel now, containing both the
> NixOS/Nixpkgs sources and the Nixpkgs binaries for Linux.  To use it:
>
>  $ nix-channel --add http://nixos.org/releases/nixos/channels/nixos-unstable
>  $ nix-channel --update
>  $ nixos-rebuild switch --fast -I ~/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixos
>
> (If you have a Nix version older than a few days you have to write "-I
> ~/.nix-defexpr/channels/nixos_unstable".)  The advantage of using the NixOS
> channel is that you get a tested combination of NixOS and Nixpkgs, with
> binaries.  The NixOS channel is generated from this Hydra view:
>
>  http://hydra.nixos.org/view/nixos/tested
>
> So if any of those jobs fail, the channel won't be updated.
>
> I'll change NixOS soon to make this the default (i.e. to use the NixOS channel,
> and not put sources in /etc/nixos).

So, if I maintain a set of changes to nixos and nixpkgs in /etc/nixos I have to build and activate nixos manually, rather than with nixos-rebuild?

It would be fancy if Hydra could tag a git repository with the correct combination of nixos and nixpkgs submodules for each succesful NixOS build. Then I could rebase my repos and take advantage of the hydra builds.

  / Rickard