[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r33822 - nixos/trunk/modules/programs/bash

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Mon Apr 23 02:57:57 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 22/04/12 02:18, Nicolas Pierron wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 03:34, Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl> wrote:
>> * Add root's NixOS channel to $NIX_PATH.  Will remove
>>  /etc/nixos/{nixos,nixpkgs,services} eventually.
>
> I am not sure to understand how this is even possible.  Could you
> explain where NixOS modules and Nixpkgs packages would be found ?
> One of the greatest advantage of /etc/nixos/nixos is that people can
> start hacking in it.  How would anybody make a modification to NixOS
> if we use the channel ?

By running "nixos-checkout" and then passing "-I /path/to/my/sources" to
"nixos-rebuild".  ("nixos-checkout" probably should get a destination directory
argument, rather than always putting the trees in /etc/nixos.)

For instance, if I want to update my system to the latest NixOS version in the
NixOS channel, I do:

$ nix-channel --update
$ nixos-rebuild switch

But if I want to do a build from my local development tree, I do:

$ nixos-rebuild switch -I /home/eelco/Dev