[Nix-dev] nix configuration language

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Apr 23 14:01:43 CEST 2012

Excerpts from Ben Franksen's message of Mon Apr 23 13:53:28 +0200 2012:
> want it to manage binaries, only the configuration data.
So you end up having a mysql.cnf and a apache conf without a running
apache process ?

Get nixos - have a look at how etc is managed (there is a etc perl
builder script, and ls -ld /etc/* will be enough to show that all
managed files point to /etc/static whose sub paths point to nix/store)

You can manage etc in a similar way *and* create a list of packages
which must be present on the system such as 'apache2-...' because you
have apache configurations.

> > Another nice keyword might be "chef":
> > https://github.com/opscode/chef
> various formats not widely known outside the application area. I want a
> small versatile tool, not a huge 'framework'. And open source, please ;-)
Isn't it apache license? Anyway it doesn't matter for you.

Marc Weber